If you want to build a strong habit here are 5 Steps to build a strong habit:
“Every single qualification for success is acquired through habit. People form habits and habits form futures. If you do not deliberately form good habits, then unconsciously you will form bad ones. You are the kind of person you are because you have formed the habit of being that kind of person, and the only way you can change is through habit.”-Albert Gray.
Wanted to do something new? Take up a new challenge? Only way you can do is by building up new habits, which of course can be a task for a lifetime. Here are 5 steps to build a strong habit.
- Decide a Goal: Want to lose 5kg by this month? Be active on social media? Have a perfect accounting system? All of these require a strong habit. Yet we need to start somewhere so the first step would be to set up an achievable goal. By achievable I mean anything which you think is achievable (though sky is the limit).
- Breakdown each goal into easy steps: For instance, your goal is to be active on social media. Make a roadmap to follow and break from yearly to monthly to weekly target. Gaining knowledge on the subject should also be a part of the goal. Remember every game has its own rule.
- Be Persistent: This is the key to success. It is said it takes 21 days to build a habit. Some gives bigger numbers, the scariest one is “it takes 8 years to strongly imbibe in your genes”. For now, make sure you continue at least for 21 days…… and not stop there but continue for 8 years (even if it scares you).
- Reward: Don’t forget to reward yourself after you complete 21 days. One key thing to remember, accomplishment should be actual and tangible (simply writing the name of the project does not count). Don’t cheat and remember to have lot fun. If it does not amuse or inspire you, I am sure you will not be able to continue for 8 years……
- Reinvent: Keep moving, go back to step 1. Remember there is never a last step you can always move forward and try something new.
Even if you build 1 strong habit, it will remain with you forever.